It’s a bumper 2 week issue this week, covering both weeks of the School Holidays. Just remember it’s Daylight Savings on Sunday – clocks go forward! For what’s coming up next week, please click here
A couple of things to note:
· This week’s SPCA Adopt-a-thon has been cancelled, due to not enough animals being available!
· Next Tuesday is the final JP Service Centre here at CPCC. Due to low numbers, this service has now been cancelled. If you need a JP, check the list attached or the Justice of the Peace website: http://www.jpfed.org.nz/Find+
Churton Park Community Directory
Frequent users of CPCC will know about our Community Directory, where local businesses can leave their business cards. Drop in and check out the local businesses available from builders and plumbers to graphic designers and counsellors! And....right now, we have a few gaps, so if you're a local (Churton Park) business and you'd like to have your cards displayed, just drop them in. Space is provided on a first come first served basis and you are responsible for ensuring the cards are topped up...otherwise you might lose your space to another local business!
ON NEXT WEEK
· ** School Holiday Classes ** - spaces are available in Taekwon-do Fun (Tuesday 30that 11.05am), Origami Magic (Wednesday 1st at 11.30am) and Knitting Looms (Friday 3rdat 10am) – contact me to book.
· ** Fill the KCA Warehouse Food Drive ** - Kiwi Community Assistance have recently opened a new warehouse, and in a wonderful initiative sparked by a lovely local woman, Michelle Harrison, we will be collecting food throughout October to help KCA fill their new warehouse. Check out the list on the poster attached for the kinds of items we are looking for and add one item to your next shopping trip. Michelle estimates that if every household in Churton Park alone contributes one item, that will be over 2,000 items of much needed food re-distributed to those most in need. You can drop your items to Churton Park Community Centre between 10 - 2pm weekdays. Please share with your friends, get your kids involved and help 'Fill the Warehouse'! Thanks Churton Park!
· ** Ukulele Lessons ** - the Churton Park Ukulele Ensemble with the lovely Carole has started again on Tuesdays from 1-2pm. $2 koha to cover the room, and please bring your own ukulele. If you are new to lessons and would like to join you are most welcome, please get in touch with me for more information.
· ** 360 Degree Mens Group Fitness ** - classes will continue throughout the holidays, with three classes a week starting at 6.15am (and one at 10am on Tuesdays). So get down and get a workout in before the kids are up! Contact David:firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
· ** Classes on a break for school holidays ** - Buggy Walking Group and Early Explorers (check their Facebook page for updates on walks that might be happening over the holidays: https://www.facebook.com/
groups/cpccbuggywalk/?fref=ts) , Wednesday morning Bodevolve Pilates and Tai Chi with Janet
COMING SOON – MARK YOUR CALENDARS
· ** Social English Sessions ** - starting Friday October 17th at 10am. Improve your social English skills. Join us every Friday at Churton Park Community Centre to practice conversational English in a friendly and relaxed environment. $2 koha, complimentary tea and coffee. See attached. 想提高你的英语会话吗？想尽快融入本地生活吗？来Churto
n Park 社区中心参加我们的英语角吧。每周五上午10-11点，费用只需 2元。十月十七日正式开始。
· ** Monday Lunchtime Yoga with Diane ** - Mondays 12:00 to 1:00pm. Starting 13th October, for 8 weeks until 8th December, NO Class on Labour Day. Book your space with Diane by 8th October 0274 210 775 (ph/txt) or email@example.com.
· ** Beginners Yoga with Diane ** - A gentle yoga class for beginners or students who are returning to yoga after a break away due to injury, illness or simply a lack of time. Working mindfully during these classes we honour our body and work within our own natural limits. Tuesdays 6.15 - 7.15pm, starting on October 14th – December 9th. Book your space with Diane by 8th October 0274 210 775 (ph/txt) firstname.lastname@example.org.
· ** Fairy Dance Term Four Classes ** - Term Four for Fairy Dance runs Saturday 18th October - 13 December. There will be 2 class groups next term to accommodate individual capabilities more specifically, and fully enhance development and potential at a stronger level.
o 10.05am 3 ½ to 5 year olds = Pre-Primary (First level Royal Academy of Dance Ballet)
o 10.30am 2 to 3 ½ year olds = Bubby Ballerinas
Fees are $99 per term, or $15 per casual class. Enrolment either via website enquiry form on www.fairydance.co.nz, call 027 8900164 or email email@example.com.
· ** Creative Expressions Term Four ** - Monday 13th October – 24th November 1.30pm – 3.30pm. We will be making quilted Christmas table runners, plus learning how to crochet, flowers and a few little things. We will also continue knitting little garments for “Little Sprouts” - we are getting quite a little pile of them at the moment! The cost is a gold coin to cover the room hire. We have a selection of tools and fabrics to start but the ladies of our group will need to provide their own Christmas fabrics as we haven’t many. Register your interest with Daphne: firstname.lastname@example.org
· ** Acoustic Guitar Lessons with Phil Hope ** - for adults and children aged 8+. Contact Phil for more information on term four classes: email@example.com
· ** Safe Driving Classes for Seniors ** - How well do you know the road rules? Join us at CPCC in October for a workshop that aims to maintain and improve safe driving practices for senior road users. Sessions are two hours long and will run on Wednesday 15th October (10-12pm) or Tuesday 22nd October (10-12pm). Space is limited and bookings are essential through Age Concern phone: 499 6646. Workshop costs $10 including booklet and hand outs.
· ** Free CPR Classes ** - Wellington Free Ambulance will be running two free CPR sessions in October to get you up to speed with assisting someone in cardiac arrest, including the use of a defibrillator. This is especially timely as our Community Centre Defibrillator was used just a few weeks ago. Sessions are on Wednesday 22nd October from 11.30 – 1pm or 7.00 – 8.30pm. Register with me – 830 4802 firstname.lastname@example.org.
· ** Churton Park Craft Market ** - make a note of Friday 14th November from 5 – 8pm for the famous Churton Park Christmas Craft Market.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
· ** Bridge Group ** - we have a local bridge player looking to start a bridge group here at CPCC. If you are a player, or if you think you would like to learn, please get in touch with me at the Centre. At this stage, details have not been finalised, so the group can be very flexible about day and time.
* Come to Johnsonville Library on Friday 3rd October at 6.30pm for our late night storytime. This month we are going back in time to meet up with the dinosaurs. Come along if you dare!
· Tennis Holiday Programme! Hi everyone, my name is Alexey and I am your local tennis coach here in Churton Park. I will be running a school holiday programme at the Churton Park Tennis Club for all ages and abilities. Everyone is welcome to attend, regardless of whether your child is a beginner or has played tennis before. For further information and to book your place, please email me at email@example.com
· Demi-Pair Families - The English Teaching College is currently looking for host families for students coming on a Demi Pair programme where students live in with a family where they help with household chores and childcare from 15 to 20 hours a week while studying English part-time in the morning. These students are mainly from Germany and Switzerland and have a genuine interest in childcare and their English level is Intermediate and above. See attached
FROM NEWLANDS COMMUNITY CENTRE
Coming up on the 1st October: International Day of Senior Citizens: Newlands Community Centre warmly invites you to come and celebrate the International Day of the Senior Citizen with us. There will be a Hats and High Tea morning tea followed by a pot luck lunch. So get your creative spark working and make yourself up a fancy hat and be in win prizes for most outrageous and most glamorous hat. We have quizzes, guess the Celebrity/ Royal babies and a selection of historical books from the Johnsonville library, so bring along a pot luck dish (hot or cold) and share your lunch and stories with each other and listen to safety talks from our local police, fire brigade and Wellington free ambulance. Starts 10am-3pm, morning tea will be 10.30am.
FROM TAWA COMMUNITY CENTRE
Pelvic Floor Workshop Saturday 11th October 9:00 am to 1 pm Morning Tea provided at the Linden Social Centre, 10 Linden Ave, Linden at a cost of $90, Early bird special $80 but must register & pay by 1st October. No refunds. Limited numbers – book early. Handouts so you can practise at home. Registration: Phone 232-9364 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To keep up to date with what’s on at CPCC throughout the week, you can follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/
ChurtonParkCommunityCentre). It’s publically available, so you can view it even if you don’t belong to Facebook.
Have a great weekend!
Community Centre Advocate | | Wellington City Council
P 04 803 8741 | M 021 247 8741 | F
E Rebecca.Duffy@wcc.govt.nz | W Wellington.govt.nz