· The annual Churton Park Christmas Party is on tomorrow afternoon from 1pm at Churton Park School. I know Santa is very excited to be making an appearance and hearing what the kids want for Christmas this year!
· Wellington Free Ambulance has dropped in 16 boxes of emergency face masks to CPCC. These masks have EXPIRED, but I have been advised they are still very much useable and would make a useful addition to your emergency kit...or if you've got a bit of D.I.Y planned for the holidays. If you would like a box for your emergency supplies, please pop in and grab one. First in, first served!
· Male singers are needed for the ‘Carols at Amesbury’ carol event at Amesbury School on December 12th. The sweet female voices of the Capital Harmony Chorus will be featuring to help the crowd to sing along with the carols. To round out the sound we are looking for men. So if you are a brilliant bass or a terrific tenor or just a bathroom basic, we would like to hear from you to join the choir on the night. No rehearsals, and singing in unison, but putting a part in welcomed if you can. 6:30 pm assembly for a 7 pm start to the singing. E-mail Ron Daly email@example.com with your intention to participate.
· Community Centre closing dates – CPCC will close down from Friday 19th December – Tuesday 20th January. The Centre will not be available to book during this time.
For what’s coming up next week, please click here
REGULAR CLASS SPOTLIGHT – Churton Park Ukulele Ensemble
If you are looking to pick up a new skill in a relaxed and friendly environment, why not join the Churton Park Ukulele Ensemble? The group meets every Tuesday afternoon from 1-2pm and is taught by Carole Hempton, a retired guitar teacher and professional guitarist. Bring a pencil, paper and your ukulele and come along for some fun! Just a $2 charge to cover the room.
ON NEXT WEEK – For further information and bookings on all classes, contact me at the Centre: 830 4802 or Beckie.firstname.lastname@example.org, unless otherwise stated.
· This week sees the final week of our Pre-school music class on Tuesdays and Tai Chi with Mercedes on Saturdays. Both these classes will return in 2015. Please contact the Centre for more information on enrolling in 2015 classes.
· ** KCA Giving Tree ** - we’ll be bringing back the KCA Giving Tree again this year from Monday 1st December. Simply pop in and select an ornament off the tree, purchase the gift for the gender and age stated and return it (unwrapped) to the Centre before Friday 12th December. Thank you in advance for your generosity!
· ** One Sheet Wonder Class ** – Tuesday 2nd December 9.30 – 11.30. Learn to make five gorgeous items using the One Sheet Technique. $25. Limited places. See attached for examples of what you will make.
· ** Churton Park Community Association Meeting ** - Wednesday 3rd December at 7.30pm
COMING SOON – MARK YOUR CALENDARS
· ** Christmas Craft Classes ** - Rachael has a number of classes coming up to teach you techniques for creating beautiful Christmas cards and boxes. See the attached flyers and book through the Centre:
o Kids Christmas Craft Class – Thursday 11th December 3.30 – 5pm. Great Christmas crafts for kids aged 5+. Adults can register for this class also. $20. Due to high demand, numbers have been extended for this class.
o Christmas Card Making - Friday 12th December 7 – 9pm . Learn the skills to make four exquisite Christmas cards then take home your work! Just $20 for four cards. Places are strictly limited.
· ** Women’s Business Network Meeting** - Monday 15th December 11am – 1.30pm. Three women’s network groups are holding a joint meeting at the community centre and would like to invite other women to come along to share ideas, gain inspiration, promote your services and have fun. There will be plenty of tables for you to display your products or brochures. Set-up time 10.30am. Just $10 on the door. Details on http://www.chrysalisforwomen.
com/northern-women.html. Contact Kim on email@example.com, 022 0812586. RSVP required
· ** Funclay Sale ** - If your kids have been to Anna's Funclay classes here at the Centre, you'll know how clever and talented she is at creating the most amazing figures out of Funclay. Here's your chance to get in and buy Anna's pieces for Christmas pressies (they make cute stocking stuffers!) or even grab some Funclay for your own fun over the school holidays! Monday 15th December from 3.30 - 5pm here at CPCC.
CPCC will re-open on Tuesday 20th January and school holiday activities will run during the week of 26 – 30 January. We have a great new range of classes in January, including:
· 3D Printing
· Stop-motion animation
· Creative Writing
· An exciting food-craft combo…and
· Phil Hope, our guitar tutor will be running a free open session so kids can come along and check out guitar lessons!
Full details will be published on Facebook next week and in next week’s newsletter.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
· ** 3D Printing in 2015 ** - I have been organising 3D printing workshops for kids for 2015. But I’d like to know – are there any adults out there who would be interested in learning how to use a 3D printer? Let me know and if there is enough demand, we’ll look at adult classes as well.
· ** English Second Language Classes with Gwendoline Rocton in 2015 ** - The purpose of the classes is to help people learn to speak English at different levels. Everyone is welcome. There will be different types of English available, English for business purposes, general English etc. There will be fun activities including games and role playing where students get to express themselves. Gwen will be using very modern materials, including audios and movies. Students won't learn English only in the classroom, there will be outings where students get to experience learning in a different environment. Fees : $10 an hour for 2 hours. Students are welcome to take the classes for two days a week are recommended to take it for three days for effectiveness. Lessons will be different everyday there will be no time to be bored. One to one classes are available upon request for a different fee. Gwen will be offering a free introductory session on Tuesday 3rd February 7 – 9pm for a chance to meet her to see if these lessons are right for you. For further details, contact Gwen on 021 0845 9053 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
|· ** Hour of Code ** - Head along to Johnsonville Library to learn about computer coding and how to code games or animation. Join us and millions of others around the world for an Hour of Code (http://hourofcode.com/nz). This is an introduction to coding so don't worry if you don't have any experience or are not a computer expert, just come along and have fun! It would be good if you could bring your own device (tablet, ipad, laptop, smartphone or iphone) and headphones, there will be some spare tablets and desktops to use if you don't have a device though. There are two events; Friday 12 December @ 6.30–7.30pm aimed at adults and teenagers and Saturday 13 December @ 2-3pm for children.|
FROM NEWLANDS COMMUNITY CENTRE
- Christmas Craft Market Friday 5 December, 4- 7pm. Come along to our market showcasing the creative talent of local people in our community. There will be a range of crafty items including cards and Christmas decorations, paper and fabric craft, painted china, jewellery, paintings, Christmas cakes and more! Make sure you keep this time free to come along, support local crafts people and get some Christmas shopping done! Tea and coffee provided. See our poster and bring along your family and friends.
To keep up to date with what’s on at CPCC throughout the week, you can follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/
ChurtonParkCommunityCentre). It’s publically available, so you can view it even if you don’t belong to Facebook.
Have a great weekend!
Community Centre Advocate | | Wellington City Council
P 04 830 4802 | E Beckie.Duffy@wcc.govt.nz | W Wellington.govt.nz