The Wednesday Walkers are having Friday night drinkies tonight at Simmer from 5:30pm to 7-pm. There will be a pre-drinks walk departing from the Community Centre at 3.45pm - the walk shouldn't take much more than an hour. For what’s coming up next week, please click here.
ON NEXT WEEK
· ** Free Legal Seminar ** - Book now for our next FREE legal seminar with Rainey Collins on Monday September 8th at 7.15pm. This session will be run by Churton Park's own Debbie Dunbar and will cover everything you need to know about protecting your relationship property. Register with Rainey Collins: email@example.com.
· ** Quest 4 Wellness ** - The September Quest 4 Wellness Seminar focusses on Glyconutrient Technology, answering all your questions about phytohormones and plant derived antioxidants, where they come from and how can they help you. Tuesday 9th September 7.30pm at CPCC. Please confirm your attendance by texting 027 442 7866. See attached for more information.
· ** Wednesday Walking Group ** - see attached for the walking group schedule for September and early October, plus contact details if you would like to join in.
· ** Rembuden Karate Self-Defence Workshop ** - do you know what to do if someone grabs or restrains you? Join Patricia from Rembuden Karate for a family self defence workshop at CPCC on Saturday 13th September 3 - 5.30pm. Family Special: $50 for 1 adult + 2 kids! See attached for registration details.
COMING SOON – MARK YOUR CALENDARS
· ** Ukulele Lessons Re-Starting ** - I’m so delighted to let you know that our Churton Park Ukulele Ensemble with the lovely Carole will be re-starting again on Tuesday September 16th from 1-2pm. $2 koha to cover the room, and please bring your own ukulele. If you are new to lessons and would like to join you are most welcome, please get in touch with me for more information.
· ** October School Holidays ** - see attached for more information:
o ** Puppet Theatre Workshop ** - Learn the fundamentals of puppet theatre. Make your own wooden spoon puppets with jinglebugs, then rehearse and put on a puppet show directed by Drama Remedy. For ages 5+. Cost: $36 per child, including lunch from Takeaway Churton. Monday 29th September 11 am – 3pm. Register through the Centre.
o ** Halloween Chocolates ** - Make your own Halloween Chocolates to take home. We will melt chocolate, temper it and use moulds to make delicious chocolates. Decorate your scary treats with edible glitter and paints, and then personalise individual bags to take them home in! For children 6+, $30 per child (includes lunch). Tuesday October 7th 11.30 – 2.30pm. Run by local cake maker, Rachel Williams. Register through the Centre.
o ** Funclay Creative Classes ** - Make cute farm animals (Monday 29th September 10 – 12pm) or Sylvanian Animals (Wednesday 1st October 10 – 12pm) with no-bake Funclay. For children 5+, $15 per child. Register through the Centre.
o ** Khandallah Kids Taekwon-do ** - learn basic self-defence techniques and have fun. For kids aged 5 – 7 years. $9 per child. Sessions run on Tuesday September 30th starting at 11.05am, 12.05pm or 1.05pm. Register through CPCC.
o ** Fondant Characters ** - **only four spaces left** Learn to make fondant cakes toppers just like an expert cake maker! Make a fairy garden or dinosaur jungle with a range of techniques and take home your creation to display or devour! For children 6+, $30 per child (includes lunch). Monday October 6th 11.30 – 2.30pm. Run by local cake maker, Rachel Williams. Register through the Centre.
o ** Brain Bunny Creative Writing Class ** - Brain Bunny Creative Writing Holiday Programmes are about tapping into children’s imaginations and helping them craft a story. During the programme, we'll use a range of guided creative writing exercises to stimulate new ideas for characters, stories and poems, and to help develop ideas children may already have. Suitable both for students who are passionate about creative writing, looking for extension and for students who are struggling with writing in a classroom setting, looking to gain confidence. For children aged 8 – 12years. $35 per child. Register with Brain Bunny:http://brainbunny.co.nz/index.
· ** Safe Driving Classes for Seniors** - How well do you know the road rules? Join us at CPCC in October for a workshop that aims to maintain and improve safe driving practices for senior road users. Sessions are two hours long and will run on Wednesday 15th October (10-12pm) or Tuesday 22nd October (10-12pm). Space is limited and bookings are essential through Age Concern phone: 499 6646. Workshop costs $10 including booklet and hand outs. See attached.
· ** Free CPR Classes ** - Wellington Free Ambulance will be running two free CPR sessions in October to get you up to speed with assisting someone in cardiac arrest, including the use of a defibrillator. This is especially timely as our Community Centre Defibrillator was used just a few weeks ago. Sessions are on Wednesday 22nd October from 11.30 – 1pm or 7.00 – 8.30pm. Register with me – 830 4802 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
** Social English Sessions ** - Do you have a parent, friend or neighbour who would benefit from learning English via conversation in a relaxed, social and non-pressured environment? We will be starting Social English sessions at CPCC on Friday mornings from mid-October. We would love to get the word out there to people who have English as a second language, are home during the day and who would really benefit this type of session. If this is you, or someone you know please watch this space – more information will be coming closer to the time
· ** Fabric Sale ** – If you missed the recent fabric sale here at CPCC, Johnsonville Community Centre will be hosting another on Saturday 13th September from 9am – 12pm.
· ** Jobs for Skilled Migrants ** - Are you a skilled migrant or refugee from a non-English speaking background looking for employment in Wellington? The Job Mentoring Service could help you. See attached for more details
FROM NEWLANDS COMMUNITY CENTRE
A new women’s fitness class 'Hula Swag' is on the 12th Sept 6.30pm-8.30pm. A light healthy supper is supplied after class. Just turn up to Newlands Community Centre on the night. There is a small charge of $3.
To keep up to date with what’s on at CPCC throughout the week, you can follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/
ChurtonParkCommunityCentre). It’s publically available, so you can view it even if you don’t belong to Facebook.
Have a great weekend!